Global Partnership at the United Nations General Assembly
A wide-ranging debate about the Sustainable Development Goals – the world’s choices of what will succeed the poverty-fighting Millennium Development Goals next year – will be on center stage at the last UN General Assembly before 2015.
As a key tool to turn the post-2015 development agenda into action, the Global Partnership will draw attention to the “how” of implementing the SDGs in an effective way by using multi-stakeholder development partnerships and how they can be made more effective. It will also focus on the private sector as a crucial player to boost development.
The Global Partnership will host two side events during the 69th session of the UN General Assembly:
“Action 2015: How Can The Private Sector Help Deliver The Sustainable Development Goals?” Side Event Conference room 5, General Assembly building 13:15 – 14:30 on 24 September 2014
Hosted by Global Partnership Co-Chair and Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Co-operation Lilianne Ploumen, in collaboration with the UN Foundation and Unilever, this event will outline the role of business in sustainable development.
High level representatives of companies, governments and global business organisations will include Mr. Paul Polman, CEO of Unilever and Ms. Kathy Calvin, President and CEO of the UN Foundation.
“How to make it happen: shaping International Development Co-operation for the effective implementation of the Post-2015 development framework”
Conference Room 6, General Assembly building 9:15-10:45 on 26 September
Hosted by Mexican Secretary of State José Antonio Meade and Dutch Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Co-operation Lilianne Ploumen, both Co-Chairs of the Global Partnership, this high-level event will seek to:
- highlight the role the Global Partnership can play in implementing the post-2015 development objectives;
- demonstrate the potential for multi-stakeholder development partnerships to work on the ground through practical examples and lessons learned.
Ms. Gina Casar, Associate UNDP Administrator, Mr. Ted Chu, International Finance Corporation Chief Economist and Ms. Huguette Labelle, Transparency International Chair will join other high level representatives from development agencies, business and governments.
#DevCoopLive Twitter Chat: “How to make it happen: shaping International Development Co-operation for the effective implementation of the Post-2015 development framework”
15:00-16:00 GMT on 19 September 2014
A Twitter chat will be held to give the global community an opportunity to comment on how to effectively implement the Sustainable Development Goals after 2015. Use hashtag #DevCoopLive and follow the Global Partnership on Twitter to join the following panelists for an hour long discussion moderated by Henry Bonsu, international broadcaster.
- Mr. Juan Manuel Valle Pereña, Head of the Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation / @J_valleperena
- Mr. Christiaan Rebergen, Deputy Director-General, International Cooperation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Netherlands / @ChrRebergen
- Mr. Michael O’Neill, Assistant Secretary-General & Assistant Administrator, Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy, UNDP / @MichaelUNDP
- Mr. Erik Solheim, Development Co-operation Directorate DAC Chair, OECD / @SolheimDAC
- Ms. Patricia Blankson Akakpo, Co-Chair, CSO Partnership for Development Effectiveness and Head of Secretariat for the Network for Women’s Rights in Ghana / @TriciaAkakpo
- Mr. Joseph Roig, Secretary General, United Cities and Local Government / @uclg_org